If you find that you need to lay some of your people off, it can be a difficult time. There are things you can do to make the process easier on everyone involved. One of those things is to hire an outplacement consulting company to help your employees find new work. If you have not worked with an outplacement consulting firm before, you may not know where to find a good one. Here are some tips to help you find one.
- Talk to the people you know. Ask around to the people who run other companies and organizations in your field. The chances are good that they have had to lay people off. If they have, they may have used an outsourcing consulting company to help them with the process. Ask them who they used and what they thought of the experience. The best way to get decent goods and services is to get a personal recommendation from someone you trust. You should also ask them what services they looked for when they were doing their search. If their workforce is similar to yours, you may want to look for similar services to what they got. They may also have advice for how to communicate about this with their people.
- Decide what your people need. Work with your human resources department to work out what the needs of your staff are. Not everyone needs the same thing. If you have staff that have been with you a long time, they may need training or help putting together their resumes? Many employees may benefit from training in how to interview well. There are a number of areas of the job search process that outplacement services companies can help you with. Just work out what your staff needs and talk to outplacement consulting firms that can help with that. You may want to go directly to your workers and talk to them about what services they think would be the most helpful for their job search.
- Find a few firms and look them up. You have a lot of different outplacement consulting firms to select from so you should spend some time looking into your different options so that you pick the right one. It is a good idea to get three to compare from. Get quotes from the three. Keep in mind that price should not be the only factor in your decision making process. You need to find a company that will offer you the services that are best for your staff but also there may be other factors you will want to consider.
- Ask about the outplacement coaches they have. When you find an outplacement consulting firm that has the services you need at the price you can afford, ask them about their coaches. What kind of training have they received? How long have they worked in outplacement consulting? How much experience do they have with your industry? What is their track record? How long does it normally take to place people with new positions? How many coaches do they have? How many employees do they work with at a time? How do they match a coach with a client?
- Once you have compiled all of the data, you have to pick. What is the most important factor? Are you looking for individual customer service? Are you really looking for the cheapest? When you look at the different quotes that you have gotten from the various outplacement consulting service, keep in mind that price does not always correlate to quality. You should also consider what services you need and what you can do without. You do not need the outplacement coach to give your staff foot massages but they may need coaching on their cover letters. You will be wasting your money if you get a firm that does not offer the services that your staff will be able to use to move forward with their careers.
There are a lot of good reasons that you would want to hire an outplacement consulting firm for help your employees when you are forced to lay them off. You maintain your relationship with those staff so if you can hire them back they may want to.